Friday, January 15, 2010

Conjure up a cowboy in 30 minutes!


Last night I went to the Great Falls Art Society meeting.  We had a pastel instructor there, with a live model. It was so interesting and fun to watch her work!  She had us do three gesture sketches, then she showed us how she would create a painting in 30 minutes from her cowboy model.  After that, we tried creating our own painting from the model.  He was a very good model, fun to look at with his hat, boots and coat.

The instructor told us what we were trying to do in this painting, is create something that screams cowboy in a leather jacket, in 30 minutes.

So here's my attempt.  I haven't had so much fun painting for a long time!  I realized the reason I haven't wanted to paint lately, is because I've been painting such tight, realistic looking work.  I'd much rather create something like this!  It was a revelation....
Donna Ridgway

6 comments:

  1. What a great model you had too! Fringe on his jacket and that signature cowboy hat.

    I think you should do more of these....I love to fill in the unrendered areas with my own ideas of what it should look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to wonder what exactly his face looked like, or is he sitting on a corral fence or a pick up tailgate... The more Robert and I look at this, the more we like it like it is... It's fun to hear your thoughts on this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Donna! I really like that! Good job, love the fringed jacket and hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane!I'll have to do some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, Donna.
    You'll be a quick-draw artist in no time. This really turned out great. It is really good practice to try and do a quick-draw every morning befor you get serious about what you are working on. At least I have found it really helps me to get the juices going and great preparation for loosing up a little bit. Now if I will just practice what I preach. I did just finish one this morning befor lookinjg at your site that I have posted on my painting-a-day blog.
    Really liked your last posted horse photo. So typical of a horse getting the kinks out. And goes along with what I was just shooting my mouth about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary, you're so right about the quick drawing. Plus the fact, when they turn out, you feel so positive about what you're doing, just knowing you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Birthday party for a one year old.

One of our great grandsons had his first birthday party on Saturday. He's such a good little guy, and he's full of action, so it was...