Wednesday, October 24, 2018


I do love creating these objects of art (for lack of a better name for them) from sardine cans and found objects. I did the froggy theme a couple days ago, and yesterday I created the cowboy theme.  I was making my Cream of the West hot cereal, and enjoying the artwork on the box, when I thought, "Hey! I could make a cowboy sardine can using that image.

So I took the box to the studio and began by cutting out the cowboy and the word WEST. I was off and running.  I found some heavy string, twisted it to resemble rope, for all cowboys use their ropes, right?

After I painted the inside of the can with copper paint, I placed the cowboy from the cereal box and glued him down, along with the WEST sign. After that things got complicated, I knew I had to find a horse that fit into the box. I looked in all the drawers and cupboards, looked in the computer room, looked in the back of the trailer where all my Breyer horses stand on shelves.  Sure enough, finally! I found a little rubber brown horse.

Digging through the drawers where I keep jewelry bits, I found a snap from a leather purse that looked like a sherriff star. I got out my tools, pliers, knives etc and separated the bottom of the snap from the top of the snap and the leather that held it all together.

I found the long horn steer on a belt buckle, once again, I used all my tools to separate that steer from the rest of the buckle.

The little antique cowboy on the front was floating round in the western jewelry drawer. I dug him out.  Then I was thinking of something to do with coffee, couldn't find anything that worked, but did find a key chain with the Jack Daniels whiskey info. I took it apart and it fit just right in that left hand corner.

Then I went looking for beads and tiny things to fill in empty spaces and jagged edges.I wanted blue and turqoise colors to set off the orange of the first cowboy. After much digging, I found the right stuff and the piece came together!

Would you enjoy something like this or would it drive you crazy? I love these projects, they are so involved, you don't think of anything else when you work on them. They take your mind to a fun new place!
Donna Ridgway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Birthday party for a one year old.

One of our great grandsons had his first birthday party on Saturday. He's such a good little guy, and he's full of action, so it was...